Sunday, October 4, 2009

Low back pain!


I don't know very many people who have never experienced low back pain at one time or another! I myself have and I know that most of my students have as a result of training constantly one-sided in our fighting stance. In fact, most folks are unbalanced by nature. We have all heard the saying that if a person were to walk in one direction for a length of time they would end up going in a circle because everyone tends to favor one side or have one leg shorter than the other among other reasons. Another reason why the lower back is so stressed is in the design of the human anatomy. Think about the structure of the skeleton and imagine all the huge muscle that you are building while you pound out 400lb bench sets and 300lb rows! Al this weight and power sitting on the little chicken-neck we call a spine! I am not a chiropractor, but it seems obvious to me when I think of it this way that taking good care of the back is crucial.
The foremost authority on back pain (and many other health subjects) in my opinion, is a fellow named Josh Rubin from East West Healing at http://www.eastwesthealing.com/Resources.aspx. He has sourced out a low back exercise from Doctor Guy Voyer that is easy and effective but you have to follow it exactly as he describes in this Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb1pzak7w_M. It doesn't look like much but it works.

Give it a shot.
Coach Toby

No comments:

Post a Comment